Sweet Potato Black Bean Avocado Super Foods Burger. Say that 10 times fast! I will admit, I went a little extreme when I tried to create my own “veggie burger”, but why not pack in all the super foods and gut healthy nutrients as possible? The great thing about making these in your food processor is that you can in add all of the super foods you want, and you barely even notice they are part of the recipe!
The featured gut healthy ingredient in this recipe is flax seed and I can’t wait to tell you why. For starters, I would say I eat on average 1-2 tablespoons of flax seed every single day. I put it in my morning smoothies, use it in my favorite dips, or sprinkle it in my oatmeal or granola. Flax seed doesn’t have much of a taste to it, so it is a great super food to add into your recipes without really noticing it is there. However, your gut will. Flax seed is one of the best foods you can give your gut. It is jam packed with omega-3 fatty acids, helps regulate your hormones, is extremely high in antioxidants, and contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. Need I say more?
The flax seed added to this recipe gives the veggie burger an extra nutty flavor and with the combination of chia seeds, avocado, and sweet potoato, you are getting the best combination of healthy carbs, fats, and fiber. Here is the recipe:
- 1 can of organic black beans
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 – 1.5 avocados
- One medium to large cooked sweet potato (I recommend baking in the over for 45 minutes)
- One clove of garlic
- 1/2 cup salsa verde (I highly recommend Trader Joe’s Brand!)
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Optional for a thicker consistency: 3/4 cup almond meal or flour or even oatmeal (or any gluten free flour of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients above but only 1/2 the amount of black beans
- Blend in food processor until the mixture is creamy
- Add the remaining amount of black beans in the food processor and blend for 5 seconds (you want the rest of the black beans to still have some consistency and texture)
- Spray a cookie sheet with avocado or coconut oil
- Scoop your mixture out of the food processor into patties (make them the size of your preference!)
- Place in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes
- Serve with your favorite gluten free bread, top them with avocado or hummus, and my personal favorite: an egg!
- Enjoy! 🙂
**Note: If you do not add the gluten free flour, they may not be the firm consistency you like because they are just filled with clean ingredients. I have found if you put the mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before forming the patties, they tend to firm up more after you take them out of the oven.