For those of you who know me well, you probably know I have a weakness for Mexican food. The funny thing about that though is that I can’t stand anything spicy (so you might have to add your own zing to this recipe if that is something you like). When I think of Mexican food I think of fresh, wholesome ingredients like black beans, avocado, and cilantro. I love the combination of the clean proteins, healthy omega-3’s and all the fiber.
The star ingredient of this recipe is actually not one that you would typically put in the “Mexican Food” category, but it happens to be one of my favorite: butternut squash. I love all things creamy and this squash takes this chicken enchilada recipe to a whole new type of comfort food level. Feel free to add your own spices, top these with salsa, or save some extra “cream” to put no top. Find the recipe below!
- 2-3 cooked chicken breasts (depending on your serving size)
- One roasted butternut squash seasoned with avocado oil, garlic, and garlic salt
- One avocado
- Salsa Verde (I prefer Trader Joe’s Brand)
- One can or pouch of organic black beans
- 4-6 gluten free tortillas (depending on serving size)
- One cup of plain greek yogurt (full fat tastes the best and is good for the gut)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- You will want to bake your squash beforehand at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until soft. Top with olive oil, garlic salt, and sea salt before placing in the oven
- While you prepare the tortillas, bake your chicken in the oven for 20-30 minutes depending on how long it was thawed beforehand. You want it almost all the way cooked
- Grease your baking pan with avocado or coconut oil spray
- Place 2-3 tortillas on the bottom
- Remove the skins from your squash and place the cooked squash in your food processor
- Once your squash has a creamy texture (you might want to add some almond milk to make it extra creamy and blend more easily) spread your squash on your tortillas (like you are spreading on pizza sauce!)
- In a separate mixing bowl, take your greek yogurt, salsa verde, avocado and cilantro and mix it together to create your “cream sauce”
- Spread the cream sauce on top of the butternut squash spread. I recommend saving some extra for after the enchiladas are cooked to put on top!
- Next, take your rinsed black beans and place them on top of the butternut squash/ cream spread so they are evenly distributed on the tortillas (you need them in every bite, trust me)
- Once your chicken is done baking, cut it up into small pieces and place those evenly on top of your black beans
- Finally, place the rest of your tortillas on top, and place in the oven for about 10 minutes
- Once the enchiladas are done cooking, top them off with the rest of your cream spread, more avocados, or even salsa (if you are into that spicy thing;) )
- Enjoy! 🙂