It is always fun to experiment with different ingredients, and if you have a food processor, the possibilities are endless. My husband and I were craving pesto the other night to put on our pizza, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to add some gut healthy add-in’s to the mix.
I don’t know what it is about avocado, but I honestly feel like you could put it in anything and it would taste good! You can mix avocado with fruit, pair it with meat, put it on your eggs, make some guac and dip your veggies in it; the list goes on and on. So when I thought of what I wanted my pesto to taste like, the two ripe avocados sitting on my kitchen counter we already one step ahead of me.
I also didn’t have pine nuts handy (and to be honest, they are so expensive!) so I decided to add almonds and brazil nuts instead. If you lack selenium in your diet, or suffer from Hoshimotos of hypothyroidism like I do, Brazil nuts are a great staple to have in your diet because they are packed with selenium. You really don’t have to eat many Brazil nuts to get the selenium benefit so I typically aim for 1-2 a day. Garlic is also a key ingredient in pesto and if you read my post on sugar, you will know that garlic is a huge player to help fight inflammation in your body and to kill off candida in your gut. Plus, like avocado, it makes so many things taste better, so it’s a win-win.
- 2 ripe medium avocados
- 2-3 cloves of fresh minced garlic
- One handful of fresh, organic Basil (washed)
- 2/3 cup almonds
- 2-3 Brazil nuts
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- A pinch of pink Himalyian salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- (Optional) One scoop of hummus
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in your food processor or blender
- Pulse on high for about 30 seconds, stir, plus again for 30 seconds or until smooth
- Continuously add the olive oil while it is mixing
- Note: Because there are almonds in this, you won’t necessarily get it to be “smooth”, but you want it blended well. The added crunch actually makes it taste better, but whatever you prefer
- That’s it!! Add it to your favorite pizza, your veggies, on top of your favorite protein, or just do what I do and eat it with a spoon out of the food processor because it is just that good!
- Enjoy 🙂